Northeastern University, Boston, MA
September, 2004 – May, 2008 – Bachelor of Arts, Psychology
Suffolk University, Boston, MA
September, 2008 – May, 2010 – Master of Science, Mental Health Counseling
Northeastern University, Boston, MA
September, 2014 – May, 2019 (Anticipated) – PhD, Counseling Psychology
Clinical and Professional Experience
Edith Nourse Rogers Memorial Veterans Hospital
Psychology Trainee September, 2017 – June, 2018
- Delivering individual and group psychotherapy in an outpatient VA mental health clinic.
- Administering, scoring and analyzing symptom-based outcome measures for clinic quality improvement.
- Receiving training and supervised experience administering Prolonged Exposure therapy.
- Participating in weekly multidisciplinary team meetings.
Doctor Solomon Carter Fuller Mental Health Center
Psychology Trainee August, 2016 – August, 2017
- Completed psychodiagnostic and neuropsychological assessments and reports, including utilizing the Rorschach Performance Assessment System (R-PAS).
- Led weekly process-oriented and psychoeducational group therapy sessions.
- Conducted individual therapy using Dialectical Behavioral Therapy, Motivational Interviewing, Brief Strategic Therapy and Cognitive Therapy for Schizophrenia.
- Assisted in designing and implementing a new research project on cognitive remediation, where my duties included identifying an appropriate research design, drafting IRB materials, and running participants through the study protocol.
Senior Behavioral Health Reviewer October 2012 – August 2014
- Reviewed Pre-Admission Screening / Resident Review Level I and Level II evaluations for the state of Colorado.
- Assisted with the development and implementation of a new contract for the company.
- Coordinated with local agencies and state governments, including the State Mental Health Authority and State Developmental Disability Authority of Colorado.
- Aided in training and orientation of new clinical staff and managed administrative staff.
Emergency Services Clinician August 2011 – October 2012
- Completed crisis evaluations including biopsychosocial histories and diagnoses.
- Assessed patients for level of care and completed referrals to receiving facilities.
- Oriented admitted patients to hospital settings and legal status.
- Created and piloted an online admission tracking system now used by the entire facility.
South Bay Mental Health
Staff Therapist June, 2010 – August 2011
- Conducted adult, child and family psychotherapy in a diverse outpatient community mental health setting.
- Formulated and led a 12-week anger management group.
- Created professional affiliations between South Bay and collateral agencies, such as Boston Healthcare for the Homeless and Father Bill’s Place.
New England Center for Homeless Veterans
Trainee September, 2009 – April, 2010
- Worked with a multidisciplinary team of counselors and social workers at a veteran’s homeless shelter in downtown Boston.
- Conducted intake interviews and eligibility assessments for psychological services for new residents.
- Completed individual therapy with an ongoing caseload throughout the semester.
- Received individual supervision and training in case management and cognitive behavioral therapy.
Bay Cove Human Services
Program Director April, 2009 – September, 2009
- Oversaw all day to day operations of a therapeutic group home program.
- Provided crisis assessment, prevention and needed intervention.
- Ensured compliance with agency policies and procedures for clients and staff.
- Provided on-call coverage on a regularly scheduled basis.
Clinical Case Manager May 2008 – April, 2009
- Provided clinical case management for adults with mental illness.
- Completed comprehensive monthly progress notes and annual assessments.
- Created and led social and activity groups.
- Provided crisis intervention, support and counseling.
Mental Health Specialist May 2007 – Nov. 2007
- Worked in locked inpatient unit serving a diverse population of mostly psychotic patients.
- Participated in patient care and case management.
- Received training in first-aid and non-violent restraint techniques.
Samaritans of Boston
Hotline Volunteer September, 2005 – May 2008
- Volunteer counselor on the city’s largest 24-hour suicide hotline.
- Received training in person-centered counseling and interpersonal skills.
- Oversaw training of new volunteers.
Northeastern University, Institute of Urban Health Research and Practice
Student Graduate Assistant May, 2015 – June, 2018
- Coordinated and provided technical assistance for organizational consultations for first response agencies.
- Aided in the collection and coding of qualitative interview and focus group data.
- Developed new resources for the organizational response to vicarious trauma.
- Collected and collated existing resources from thousands of first response and victim assistance agencies for a centralized, online toolkit.
Northeastern University, Department of Applied Psychology
Student Graduate Assistant September, 2014 – May 2015
- Completed data analysis on completed projects leading to results for publication.
- Assisted in drafting proposals for R03 and internal Northeastern University grants.
- Engaged in participant recruitment and specimen gathering for a multidisciplinary research project within the school.
- Lead author on several abstracts submitted to nationwide conferences.
Commonwealth Research Center
Volunteer/Research Assistant June 2012 – May 2014
- Completed CITI training for testing on human subjects.
- Completed statistical analyses with Excel, SPSS and R.
- Collaborated on formulation of a pilot study to develop a new clinical intervention for children with prodromal psychosis.
Shiyko, M. P., Hallinan, S., & Naito, T. (2017). Effects of Mindfulness Training on Posttraumatic Growth: a Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Mindfulness, 8(3), 1-11.
Shiyko, M., Hallinan, S., El-Nasr, M. S., Subramanian, S., & Castaneda-Sceppa, C. (2016). Effects of Playing a Serious Computer Game on Body Mass Index and Nutrition Knowledge in Women. JMIR serious games, 4(1), e8.
Seif El-Nasr, M., Hallinan, S., Shiyko, M., Durga, S., & Castaneda- Sceppa, C. (2015). Impact of a Weight-Loss Computer Game on Behavioral and Psychological Outcomes. Foundation of Digital Games, 2015(1).
Woodberry, K. A., Serur, R. A., Hallinan, S., Mesholam-Gately, R. I., Giuliano, A. J., Wojcik, J. D., … & Seidman, L. J. (2014). Frequency and pattern of childhood symptom onset reported by first episode schizophrenia and clinical high risk youth. Schizophrenia research, 158(1), 45-51.
Hallinan, S., Shiyko, M., Volpe, R., Molnar, B. (In Preparation) Addressing Vicarious Trauma in First Responder and Victim Service Agencies: A Qualitative Study. American Journal of Community Psychology.
Hallinan, S., Shiyko, M., Volpe, R., Molnar, B. (In Preparation) Reliability and Validity of the Vicarious Trauma Organizational Readiness Guide. American Journal of Community Psychology.
Shiyko, M.P., Gittins Stone, D., Shulman, H., Conducy, A., Hallinan, S., & Spruijt-Metz, D. (Under Review) Weight Management Mobile Apps for Children and Adolescents: A Theory-Based Content Analysis. Pediatric Obesity.
Hallinan, S., Hill, A., Tieszen, L., … , Molnar, B. (In Preparation) Towards a Unifying Conceptualization of Vicarious Trauma.
Mesholam-Gately, R.I., Hallinan, S., … , Seidman, L.J. (In Preparation) Staging of Olfactory Function from At-Risk to Chronic Phases of Schizophrenia in the Boston CIDAR Study.
Hallinan, S., Naito, T., Shiyko, M. (April, 2016). A Meta-Analysis of the Effects of Mindfulness Practice on Posttraumatic Growth. Poster presented at the Research Innovation and Scholarship Expo, Boston, MA.
Hallinan, S., Shiyko, M., Seif El-Nasr, M., Durga, S., & Castaneda- Sceppa, C. (May, 2015). Impact of a Weight-Loss Computer Game on Behavioral and Psychological Outcomes. Poster presented at the 27th Annual Convention of the Association for Psychological Science, New York, NY.
Hallinan, S., Shiyko, M., Mohiyedinni, C., & Gittens Stone, D. (April, 2015). Positive Reframing as a Mediator for Religious Coping Predicting Goal Adjustment in Lung Cancer Patients. Poster presented at the Research Innovation and Scholarship Expo, Boston, MA.
Shulman, H., Gittens Stone, D., Conducy, A., Hallinan, S., Spruijt-Metz, D. & Shiyko M. (October, 2015). A theory-based content analysis of iOs weight management apps for children and adolescents. Poster presented at the Massachusetts Psychological Association (MPA) Annual Conference, Norwood, MA.
Durga, S., Hallinan, S., Seif El-Nasr, M., Shiyko, M., & Castaneda- Sceppa, C. (June, 2015). Investigating behavior change indicators and cognitive measures in persuasive health games. Paper presented at Foundations of Digital Games, Pacific Grove, CA.
Mesholam-Gately, R.I., Hallinan, S.B., …, Seidman, L.J. (April, 2013). Staging of Olfactory Function from At-Risk to Chronic Phases of Schizophrenia in the Boston CIDAR Study. Poster presented at the 14th International Congress on Schizophrenia Research, Orlando, FL.
Woodberry, K.A., Serur, R.A., Hallinan, S.B., …, Seidman, L.J. (October, 2012). Childhood onset of symptoms as reported in first episode schizophrenia and clinical high risk youth. Poster presented at the Eighth International Conference on Early Psychosis, San Francisco, CA.
- Research Design and Data Evaluation (Graduate) – Summer I 2016
- 30 Graduate Applied Psychology Students
Boston Architectural College
- Narrative and Argument I – Fall 2015, Spring 2016, Fall 2016
- Narrative and Argument II – Spring 2016, Fall 2016
- 6-20 Undergraduate Design Students
- Assessment of Individual Differences – Spring 2016
- Experimental Design in Psychology – Spring 2015, Fall 2015
- Lab in Experimental Design – Spring 2015, Fall 2015
- 15-30 Undergraduate Psychology Students
American Counseling Association Professional Member July 2010 – July 2013
Student Affiliate March 2015 – Present
American Psychological Association Student Affiliate March 2015 – Present
APA Division 19 Student Affiliate January 2018 – Present
Association for Psychological Science Student Affiliate March 2015 – Present
National Alliance for Mental Illness (NAMI) Member, Volunteer March 2015 – Jan 2018
Massachusetts Psychological Association Student Member January 2017 – Present
International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies Student Member January 2017 – Present
Awards and Honors
Northeastern University, Department of Applied Psychology: Student Graduate Assistantship (Stipend and Full Tuition Remission); 2014 – 2015.
Northeastern University, Institute of Urban Health Research and Practice: Student Graduate Assistantship (Stipend and Full Tuition Remission); 2015 – Present.
Suffolk University: Dean’s List; 2009 – 2010.
Northeastern University, College of Arts and Sciences: Dean’s Scholarship; 2004 – 2008.
Northeastern University, College of Arts and Sciences: Dean’s List; 2004 – 2008.
Northeastern University, College of Arts and Sciences: Summa Cum Laude, Honor’s Distinction; 2008.